Monday, September 17, 2007

Trailing Through History

It was a typical hot Texas afternoon with a swinging breeze. The air was not warm, so it was comfortable. It was around 1:30 in the afternoon when I drove into the parking lot of Mission San Juan Capistrano. To the left of the mission itself is a forest; that's when I knew I was close to the Yanaguana Trail. Sure enough when I walked a little further three trails popped out from the forest. The trail area is not very big and all the trails eventually lead to the same place. Because of this I knew I wasn't going to be there for a while. I took the trail on the right and proceeded to walking. The trail passes through dense vegetation, which towers over head and covers the sun's unbearable rays. This made the experience much more pleasant and comfortable.


As I trailed for 3 minutes, I began to hear the sound of water, so I knew I was close to the San Antonio River. From here the trail moves right beside the banks of the river. The area is so peaceful and tranquil that you don't hear the sound of cars or the city for that matter. It's a nice way to escape and clear your mind of whatever problems you have. The trail ranges from regular dirt to wooden planks used as a bridge so people could walk over low level areas. There was benches on the planks, but I wouldn't sit on them. There was fire ants everywhere and Argiope webs on the planks, so I didn't want to get bit or have something crawl up my leg if I sat down. The middle trail convened with mine so I knew I was halfway done. According to one of the signs posted the river eels and alligators roamed the river. The area is filled with trees in every direction. At one point where the trail meets the water, the trees tower about 75 feet in the air, with long blanket of leaves hanging down creating a tent of vegetation. Pretty soon the trail was over and it didn't even take that long. All in all, the experience was very relaxing, and I would consider going back when I want some clarity in my head. -Art

No comments: